AFTER EIGHT PIE
Try this delicious guilt free After Eight to fulfill all your chocolate pleasures.
by Lauri Germain, Avena Member — Edmonton, AB
Makes: One 9-inch pie
*Note: be sure to soak the nuts for the crust in advance.
Middle green layer (Prepare first)
- 2 large or 3 small Avocados – ripe, vibrant green, not over-ripe
- 7 TBS Agave Nectar
- 1 TBS Coconut oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla extract
- 1 TSP Lemon juice
- 1/16 TSP Stevia Powder
- 1/16 TSP ground Avena’s Pristine Sea Salt (ground before measuring)
Top Chocolate Layer
- 1/4 Cup Cacao powder
- 2 TBS Cacao nibs
- 6 Medjool dates – pitted, then soaked in water while measuring crust ingredients
- 1 cup pecans – soaked, drained, rinsed
- ¼ cup cacao nibs – finely ground in coffee grinder
- 1 TBS brown flax-seed – finely ground in coffee grinder
- ¼ cup finely shredded dried coconut
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 1/8 TSP finely ground Avena’s Pristine Sea Salt (ground before measuring)
Middle green layer
- Blend above ingredients in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Now transfer two-thirds of this green mixture from the food processor into a small mixing bowl.
- Add 4 drops of Avena’s Tooth (Yes, its edible!)
- 2 TSP of lemon juice
- Stir well, cover and set aside.
Top Chocolate Layer
- Now add cacao powder to the one-third amount of green mixture remaining in food processor and blend until creamy.
- Transfer mixture to small bowl, add cacao nibs, stir well and set aside.
- Do not bother to wash food processor work bowl yet – proceed to blend crust in it.
- Soak nuts in advanced.
- Drain dates.
- Blend crust ingredients in food processor until finely ground. Mixture will begin to stick together.
Putting it all together
- Press crust into 9-inch pie plate to cover bottom and one inch up the side.
- With spatula, evenly smooth mint-green layer over crust.
- Freeze pie for at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Remove pie from freezer. Quickly smooth chocolate layer over mint-green layer.
- Freeze pie for an additional hour, then either cover with freezer wrap to store longer, or remove pie for serving.
- Let pie stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Cover and return any un-served pie to freezer immediately.